Library Director Position, West Liberty Public Library, West Liberty, Iowa
Want to work in a dynamic, diverse community with great library support? The West Liberty Public Library is accepting applications for the position of Library Director until April 21st.
West Liberty boasts a strong budget, a renovated Carnegie building, diverse patronage, and opportunities to be creative and part of a growing community.
Send Resume and Cover letter by email to Sharon Duytschaver, Board President firstname.lastname@example.org
Or mail to West Liberty Public Library, Sharon Duytschaver, Board President, 400 N Spencer St. West Liberty, Iowa 52776
West Liberty Public Library 6/15
Library Director Job Description
Responsible for planning, organizing, directing, and managing all aspects of library services under the direction of policies established by the Library Board of Trustees. Provides leadership in effective working relationships and communication, ensuring high productivity, quality public service, and encouraging initiative and creativity.
Duties, not all-inclusive:
1. Directs daily operations of Library
2. Supervises, hires, trains, and terminates staff with Library Board approval
3. Evaluates staff according to Library policy
4. Directs development, repairs, and maintenance of Library building and equipment and supplies
5. Responds to building emergencies and takes appropriate action
1. Evaluates and administers Library activities, such as circulation desk, reader’s advisory services, children’s services, community services, and public information.
2. Directs the development and maintenance of the Library collections.
3. Reports on current library trends as they relate to local Library services and operations.
4. Provides reference and Reader’s Advisory Service to staff and patrons.
5. Assists in Interlibrary Loan.
1. Conducts ongoing planning process, evaluating community needs and initiate and develops programs in response to the community needs.
2. Works with State Library, Regional Service Areas, corporate, and community groups in the development of programs and obtaining funding.
3. Works with City Hall officials and general public to provide information and to resolve conflicts.
4. Maintains electronic presence.
1. Directs and controls expenditures of department fund allocations with in approved budget.
2. Prepares annual budget reports, presents and defends request before the City Council and County funding sources
3. Actively pursues supplemental funding and administers funding according to guidelines.
Interaction with Library Board and Library Community
1. Drafts and recommends policy to Library Board and plans implementation of goals and objectives.
2. Attends all Library Board meetings
3. Provides staff support to the Library Board by preparing reports, assisting with meetings, and implementing policy.
4. Acts as a liaison between Board and Staff
5. Represents the Library on State and Regional levels.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
1. Knowledge of principle practices of public library functions
2. Knowledge of principles and practices of public administration as applied to a public library.
3. Ability in oral and written communications
4. Ability to make decisions in an environment of limited resources.
5. Ability to administer activities of public library and supervise work of others.
6. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with Library Board, staff, organizations, officials of other agencies, and general public.
7. State of Iowa Library Certification required (training provided)
8. Personal transportation required (usage reimbursement provided)
Library Board of Trustees
A four-year college degree with demonstrated ability in library administration.
Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively. Demonstrated ability of establishing and maintaining working relationships.
Permanent full-time exempt